Sunday, November 05, 2006

5 Textual Things

OK, I've been tagged more than once by those engaging in the "5 things" exercise. Here's my adaptation. I told Tom about this exercise last night, and he told me 5 "unrepeatable" things about himself, most of which I didn't know, so that was funny. Anyway:

5 "semi-textual" things you may or may not know:

1) The novel _Winter Wheat_ by Mildred Walker is my favorite novel. A friend gave it to me about eight years ago, and I've read it many times. I identify with the rural isolation and struggle portrayed in the novel.
2) I love the poem "To Be of Use" by Marge Piercy. Not a big revelation. It is on my office door.
3) I read _Jane Eyre_ every night I was in graduate school to escape from the theory I was reading and to put myself to sleep (sort of a novelistic Sominex). As soon as I graduated, I put away the novel. Sheer escapism, I guess, or maybe the fact that the Brontes were a carry-over from my master's program (My thesis was on Emily Bronte).
4) I like to read about WWII aviation. My brother got me into it when I was around ten and we memorized every German warplane in the Luftwaffe and every American counterpart. I can't identify most of them anymore.
5 plus). I once edited the memoir of a WWII bomber pilot ( Col. Jack Swayze) who flew many missions over Germany in a
B-24, affectionately know by the pilots as the "Crate." I keep running into WWII aviators in various walks of life because I regularly hang out with people over the age of eighty. I currently am running into WWII Prisoners of War (POWs). In the last few months, I have met two WWII POWs (one just last week who was in the infantry and spent 5 months in a stalag).
Given my preoccupation with war, it is perhaps an irony that I became active in the peace movement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That must be so interesting to spend time with them.
Last summer, my husband and I lived all summer long in Boston with his grandmother, who everyone called Flo. She was quite the lady, and it was fun to sit around with her and listen to her and her "boyfriend" Edward talk about what life was like 60, 70, 80 years ago. We named our first son, Stewart MacDonald, after her brother, who was killed at age 18 in a fighter plane in WWII.
Stories teach us so much - about others, about our world, about ourselves. Why, as Laurie asked Terri, aren't we teaching narratives as a powerful discursive tool?