Thursday, November 02, 2006

The literacy/transcription of a four-year old: Autumn's poetry and writing

I often transcribe Autumn's words. If you don't know who Autumn is, she is my four year old daughter (going on five).

Here are some poems she wrote this summer (that she dictated to me). I also include some of her other writings. Reading Deb Brandt's book _Literacy in American Lives_ made me think of how Autumn is engaging writing. Often she comes to me and to Tom and demands we transcribe her words. At her preschool, transcription is a regular activity. They make "books" frequently. Her five journals are full of her name and my name and Tom's name and scribbles that look like cursive writing.

Anyway, here it are some writings (and I do have Autumn's permission to post them here). I'm sure she'll have her own blog soon enough.


Autumn’s sweet honey day

#1:
Fish are pretty
The sky is blue
The clouds are white
What a beautiful day today


#2:
The firebell rings
They put their things on
They get in and out
They get everywhere in and out


#3:
Rocks are pretty, shiny ones
Sky is pretty
The ground is green

#4
I love beautiful things
They are beautiful

#5
I love tie-die
I love the wind blowing on my head
The bed is comfortable
The shower is fun
Everything is comfortable
Everything is fun
Everything is pretty
Everythuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuing is fun
Frost it up with ice-cream

#6
People are fun.
And beautiful pretty flowers
The day is pretty
My heart glows inside
I love to play
I love to do things you do

#7
I love my Mommy
I love my Daddy
I really love them because they are so beautiful
I love them as big as space
Flowers are pretty
They are nice and beautiful
And pretty autumn
…………………………………………………
Autie’s Storybook This was composed last Christmas (’05) when a neighbor was over for dinner. Tina, my neighbor, and I agree that we love the image of the "blue shadow" shop. Tom, however, isn't sure that he likes being designated the "Christmas" slob.


There were snowflakes snowing. Momma came out and built a snowman with Autumn and Dad. Tina was out there building another snowman. Her snowman was different than ours.

Momma had her pretty, glittery scarf on. It had Christmas trees on it and glitter.

Momma said “Let’s go to the blue shadow shop.”

The eye-shadow had Christmas tree ornaments on it.
Then Mr. Dad-da came and sieudik…kkkkiututuyititrotytrewdfghhjjjjjjjjkooppp]iouyiyiyyiouytuiyoyyiuptouuoytityituiuyaid: “autie, we have to go out to the beauty shop.”
And then the Christmas slob came. It was Tom.
The Christmas slob was woo-woo’s house. Vcxrrr7rtrr5r76t76784e6tr8990680696769777tyioopiyyuiioinxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffrtyuiooooooooooooooo[]]]]]\yyyyyuiiiiop[[[\\\\\\\\\\],…..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,…………………………………………………..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Autumnrwwrwrwewett67e7r737873


This next gem was composed this very evening. It is short, but dynamic. Thank god Barbie put the high heels in her purse. She can't walk fast unless she does.

Mermaidia

Barbie has a strapless dress with some little pink earrings and a tiara. She had some high heels in her purse. And she was wearing a purple diamond ring. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee[[[[[dmnjhwiuweiuyehwiqyeuEKwjkruqiyuuyweuthfdghagshshgfgh

If you would like to view Barbie (above), go to Susan Adam's blog Tales of a Ninth Grade Tuba Player where you can see pictures of Autumn holding up Barbie so she can avoid being attacked by pirates (Susan and Anita) at Laurie Gries' Halloween party.

No comments: